Politicians affiliated with Members of the Carlyle Group
* Alice Albright, daughter of ex-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
* James Baker III, former United States Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, Staff member under Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, Carlyle Senior Counselor
* George H. W. Bush, former U.S. President, Senior Advisor to the Carlyle Asia Advisory Board from April 1998 to October 2003.
* George W. Bush, current U.S. President. Was appointed in 1990 to the Board of Directors of one of Carlyle's first acquisitions, an airline food business called Caterair, which Carlyle eventually sold at a loss. Bush left the board in 1992 to later become Governor of Texas, where he was responsible for appointing several members of the board which controlled the investment of Texas teachers' pension funds. A few years later, the board decided to invest $100m of public money in the Carlyle Group.
* Frank C. Carlucci, former United States Secretary of Defense from 1987 to 1989, chairman emeritus and currently strategic business advisor. Also, former Princeton roommate and wrestling partner of present US Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld.
* Richard Darman, former Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget under George H. W. Bush, Senior Advisor and Managing Director of The Carlyle Group
* William Kennard, Chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) under President Bill Clinton, Carlyle's Managing Director in the Telecommunications & Media Group
* Arthur Levitt, Chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) under President Bill Clinton, Carlyle Senior Advisor
* John Major, former British Prime Minister, Chairman, Carlyle Europe until May 2004, and other posts to the present
* Frank McKenna, former Canadian ambassador to the United States and former member of Carlyle's Canadian advisory board
* Mack McLarty, White House Chief of Staff under President Bill Clinton, President of Kissinger McLarty Associates, Carlyle Senior Advisor
* Anand Panyarachun, former premier of Thailand
* Colin Powell, former United States Secretary of State, and former head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
* Fidel Ramos, former president of the Philippines, Carlyle Asia Advisor Board Member until the board was disbanded in February 2004
* John W. Snow, United States Secretary of the Treasury, chairman Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States (CFIUS), former CEO of CSX railroad
* Park Tae Joon, former prime minister of South Korea
* Robert Zoellick, former United States Trade Representative and current Deputy Secretary of State
The Saudi Arabian relatives of Osama bin Laden (not Osama bin Laden himself) were also minor investors in Carlyle until October 2001 when the family sold its $2.02 million investment back to the firm in light of the public controversy surrounding the bin Laden family after September 11.
Business persons affiliated with Carlyle
* Paul Desmarais, Chairman of the Power Corporation of Canada
* Arthur Levitt, former chairman of the SEC
* Karl Otto Pöhl, former president of the Bundesbank
* George Soros, international investor and liberal political activist
* Luis Téllez Kuenzler, Mexican economist, former Secretary of Energy under Zedillo administration